Robert E. Paradela has spent his nearly 20 year career successfully defending a variety of litigated cases including medical malpractice, automobile negligence, premises liability, and negligent security matters. Mr. Paradela has tried numerous cases through the State of Florida, but concentrates most of his practice in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
Mr. Paradela obtained his undergraduate degree in both communications and political science from Florida State University in 3 years graduating with honors. While at Florida State, he worked for both Governor Bob Graham and Governor Bob Martinez on their executive staff.
Mr. Paradela attended Florida State University for his legal education. He was awarded the prestigious Ralph Bailey Scholarship – a program designed for law students who have been involved in public service. While in law school, Mr. Paradela worked for the Florida Legislature, First District Court of Appeals, and the Florida Attorney General’s Office. Mr. Paradela was one of two students enrolled in the joint JD/MBA programs obtaining both a law degree and a Masters in Business Administration in 4 years.
Upon graduation from law school, Mr. Paradela joined the Wicker Smith firm in 1989. Since then, he has focused his career on the defense of various hospitals and physicians who are alleged to have committed medical negligence. Additionally, Mr. Paradela has defended automobile negligence cases typically being asked to become involved in those cases with medically complicated issues. Mr. Paradela has also defended various retail establishments and hotels in premises liability litigation and negligence security cases. He is active in the American Bar Association, the Broward County Bar Association, the DRI and SFMCCI.
Mr. Paradela was born in Chicago, Illinois, and moved to South Florida in 1974. He is fluent in Spanish and enjoys playing golf, going to the beach, and spending time with his family.
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE:
1990, Florida; U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
1992, U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
Florida State University (J.D./M.B.A. 1989; B.S., 1985)
PROFESSIONAL & CIVIC AFFILIATIONS:
- The Florida Bar, Code & Rules of Evidence Committee
- American Bar Association
- Broward County Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- South Florida Medical Claims Council
SPEECHES & PUBLICATIONS:
- Medicine Gone Bad: PIP and Letters of Protection, Wicker Smith Claims Seminar, Orlando, FL (June 10, 2011)
- Evaluation of Orthopedic Claims, Wicker Smith Claims Seminar, Orlando, FL (June 11, 2010)
- Prevention of Decubitus Ulcers and Important Considerations from a Litigation Perspective, West Boca Medical Center (May 6, 2011)
- Legal Implications of End of Life Decisions, Florida Medical Center (May 4, 2011)